Translate

Friday, January 31, 2014

Upgraded the balancer chain tensioner A.K.A. Doohickey

I purchased a whole kit on ebay, from a former KLR owner who never got around to installing it.  Along with the genuine Eagle Mike doohickey, it included the rotor holder wrench (OEM), puller, a new rotor bolt, and the Eagle torsion spring.  It took me about half of the day to tear it down and install the tensioner.  I have reinstalled the rotor and torqued it, but cannot finish the job because there are two thrust washers missing from one of the starter gears.  From what I can tell, a previous owner must have had this apart for some reason (without upgrading the tensioner) and somehow left out the thrust washers for the lower starter gear.  They mixed up a couple of the case bolts too, which was a good clue.
The lower starter gear was missing both washers; waiting for them to arrive from eBay...


I was pleased that the original tensioner was intact, including the spring.




I am very impressed by the quality of Eagle Mike's Doohickey, not-so with the OEM part!


Drilled torsion spring hole, "barely (1/16") left of 6:00"

The Doo is done.

I couldn't get the torsion spring to stay out of the way.  I need to find out if this is okay...

No comments:

Post a Comment