Translate

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Raised the front end

I learned at KLR650.net that many KLR's left their dealerships with the front end in the 'shipping position'.  My forks tubes were clamped with their tops about an inch above the top clamp.  I also read in the forum that when you install lowering links it is advisable to drop the front end the same amount.  It took some more research, but I found out that the stock links are 125mm from hole-to-hole.  Mine measured 125 +/-, so I decided that the dealership screwed up.  I found the top clamps on the gators loose, another big hint IMO.  The gators looked very squashed after I installed the EM fork brace, but not now!

While I had the front end raised with a jack, I bleed the air from the fork tubes as instructed in the owners manual.  Recently, I had bleed the air with the bike on the ground-- oops!

I put a few miles on the bike afterward, and did notice an improvement in handling.  

I forgot to snap a picture before, but you can see the difference here

No comments:

Post a Comment