Translate

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Wired the dash panel

I finally got around to wiring-up the dash panel.  I wanted to make it easy to remove and re-install, so I used mating connectors (and wire) from my KZ550's old harness.  One major oversight that I made was forgetting to paint the panel flat black prior to wiring it up.  The bare aluminum reflects sunlight right at my face at times.

I removed the switch on the far left, that I had planned to use to toggle between headlight and fan-on.  It rubbed on the windshield moumoonting point, and I decided to replace it with a 'safety bypass switch'.  I purchased the switch on ebay from China, and wired it so that it will provide a ground to the igniter (red/black wire) when switched-on.  A lot of guys remove the kickstand switch, etc., and bypass it.  I prefer to keep it installed and functional, but wanted to be able to quickly bypass if need-be on the road.

Shared to KLR650.net




The fuseholder holds a 5 amp glass fuse and is wired before the accessory outlet and voltmeter.  I used 16 gauge and larger wire and I don't plan to plug anything major into the outlet (just a possible GPS or cell phone, etc.).  I wired the switch on the far right directly to the 'city lights' 12V wire, the ground connection is to turn on the switch's LED.  




No comments:

Post a Comment